Saturday, May 24, 2008

First Month Done


So there we have it, my first month is done; only five more to go! So far, it's all been going fairly well. It's still hot and dusty, but the work is pretty good, and the guys in my office are great. A good mate of mine is actually down into single digits before he leaves. He's from Halifax. He owns a sailboat which he keeps at the Bedford Marina, and he's going to get her out into the water when he gets back. I made him promise that when he leaves here, he will take two pictures and send them to me. The first one will be of him on the beach at Fujairai with his first beer in hand. The second has to be of him in Halifax Harbour, on his sailboat, with a Halifax landmark in the background. Mark is an awesome guy, and I will miss him being around, but he's done his time and deserves to enjoy summer in Halifax.

So I think that I've mentioned that I go to Mass on Saturdays because it's the Canadian priest who presides. Father Lloyd would be pleased, because for the last two Masses, I've been 'drafted' by Father into being a Minister of the Eucharist and a Reader. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about being a Minister of the Eucharist, but it went off just fine. I particularly enjoyed being a reader. It was the second reading for the Feast of Corpus Christi, so it was short, but it also gave me a bit of latitude for inflection. All good.

The photo above is one that Nicole took when she, Mark and I went out to the village. I put it in today because I think that people who complain that Afghanistan isn't 'our war' need a bit of a reality check. I always hear that we are in Afghanistan because the Americans asked us to be (as if our gov't can't make up its own mind). Honestly, we need to be here to help this country get back on its feet. Truth is, these kids in this photo really need our help. Without the Gov't of Afghanistan and ISAF, this place would be in a very bad way. Just think about it.

Take care and God bless,

Until next time,
Kent

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your style of writing. What flow! All those essays at Laval have really paid off! :)

I think of you often.
Thank God we have brave people like you over there. And you are right - those kids in that photo certainly do need us and YOU.

Karen X

May 27, 2008 8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow it has been a month already. Time certainly does fly. Lets hope the next five months go by just as quick. Looking forward to your next post. Keep well my friend and God Bless.

June 12, 2008 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you like crazy! We want more pics

June 13, 2008 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we definitely need more pictures! How are you doing? How is your garden?
CSSM

June 14, 2008 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home